By: Lisa Shackelford
OCC Investors, LLC., an ownership group led by developer Ken Block, has purshased Oakwood Country Club at 9800 Grandview Rd. in Kansas City, Mo. with plans to begin renovations as early as this month.
"Our vision is to transform what is already a beloved property and golf course with a rich 139-year history into one that will be widely known as the state's best - and what we hope will become the regisn's best," said Block, who played his first round of golf at Oakwood Country Club at age nine.
OCC Investors brought in golf course and country club design and development experts from around the country to provide direction for the improvements of the course and grounds including Titan, Pinnacle Construction Group, Gensler and NSPJ Architects.
Work on the clubhouse and parking and grounds will begin this summer, followed by the golf course. The first phase of the golf course is estimated to be complete by fall; the second pahse includes opening new greens on several holes by next spring. A final round of upgrades will take place during the 2021 season.
Plans to transform the property from top to bottom for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, include:
- A new, world-class golf range
- New cart paths
- Better Billy Bunker system sand traps
- New championship tees and multiple tees for golfers of all levels
- Enlarged and enhanced fairways
- Top-tier, short-game practice facility
- Golf simulators
- Heated golf bays
- Planned Center of Golf Excellence for teaching pros to instruct members and non-members
- Modernizing the property from the front entrance throughout the property
- Improvements to bar, grill and event spaces
- Newly designed and upgraded restrooms and sitting rooms
- Enhancements to outside decks, balconies and seating areas, including adding fire pits and enhanced lighting
- New parking facilities
"NSPJ is excited to be a part of the renovations at Oakwood Coutnry Club. We are working on a modernization and rebranding of this historic golf course that focuses on the golf experience," said Katie Martinovic, VP/principal landscape architect for NSPJ.
Founded in 1881, Oakwood Country Club is the oldest operating country club in Kansas City and was frequented by former President Harry S. Truman in the 1950s.